We've developed a set of useful guidelines to help you implement the Spiritual Life Survey in your unique church setting. These guidelines, which include promotional ideas, key messages, and a suggested timetable, are intended to help you field the survey so that you generate the highest response rate.
• Remember that one of the most important keys to success is the senior pastor & executive leadership team —the more those people show up as advocates for taking the survey, the more successful you will be!
• Plan to promote the survey heavily while it's active and ideally before the survey launch, using:
- Weekend platform announcements.
- Reminders in weekend bulletins and on side screens.
- Promotion through weekly e-news and other regular electronic (and print) communications.
- Social Media promotions.
- Use the Reveal for Church: Spiritual Life Survey logo in multi-media presentations, on your website, on your social media accounts, etc...
- Some churches made computers available in their lobbies during the survey to encourage participation, including providing assistance for people who aren't comfortable with the Internet.
*Divide and Conquer:
The highest response rate to date came from a church that put together a "Call Team." They split the church up and called everyone encouraging them to complete the survey. This yielded a 71% response rate.
*Know Your Church:
Churches react to technology in different ways; congregants take the survey on computers, smartphones & tablets.
Direct your congregation to the device you feel will yield the highest response rate. - Often a computer is the best route.
The photo above was taken by the pastor of a church in Kenya. Everyone in this photo is taking the REVEAL for Church: Spiritual Life Survey. Many of their congregants didn’t have a computer so the Church created a computer library with one purpose, get the best response rate possible.
Suggested Key Messages
We're launching a unique survey asking for input on your spiritual life and our church’s role in it.
Our goal is to better understand what the church can do to support your spiritual growth.
We'd like to hear from everyone who calls our Church their church home. The more input we have, the better our efforts to support your spiritual growth will be. So please…take the survey! And pass along the survey link to your church friends who aren’t here today.
The survey is comprehensive and meant to provoke your thought. We're asking you to set aside 15-20 minutes to take it. All the account and survey information is 100% confidential. Think of this time as an investment in your spiritual life as well as the future of your church. We (the church) won't know individual responses, so please be honest.
Suggested Survey Timeline
One Month Out:
- Prepare and update your email list.
- Cast vision for the survey to leadership, staff, ministry and lay leaders, so they are fully on board.
- Develop promotional plan.
Two Weeks Out:
- Cast vision for the survey to your congregation at weekend services.
- Promote the survey at large gatherings as well as weekend services.
- Share the survey link with your leadership team. (No need to worry, their responses will be counted).
- Launch survey via email before weekend services.
- Promote survey at weekend services.
- Set up computers (with assistance available) at the church (optional).
During the Two Weeks After the Survey Launch:
- Send reminder email 3-5 days after the launch.
- Continue strong promotional presence (verbal, written communications, handouts, website).
- Communicate progress to congregation.
- Send another reminder email five days before survey close.